Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Signs

**Apologies for the delays in posting. I´ve been busy and so am a week behind....

Juan Carlos and I hiked down to Playitas Sunday morning and hung the signs I painted to warn of the crocodile in the river, hoping that people will be more aware with their dogs and children. We found Ariel on the beach, just coming up from surfing and willing to help. We climbed a few trees to get them all hung and still made it back for Karen and I to catch the 9:30 bus to San Jose.

As we waited for our lunch, first stop in the city, we found a local newspaper, La Nacion, sitting on the counter beside us. Karen, ever hungry for Spanish reading, picked it up to read the cover. There was a front page headline and a four page spread on the increase in crocodile attacks in our region in the past 3 weeks. Each article mentioned the lack of municipal support in raising awareness. The excuse is lack of funds to post signage. My signs cost me nothing. Some wood scraps from under Luis' surf school, some paint we had lying around, brushes borrowed from Katrina, my own time and energy to paint and climb a few trees, and help from a couple of friends. It cost nothing at all to save a few lives.

Does this make us community activists?

No comments: